My top 5 books for summer 2015!

Hey there people of the internet! Now if your anything like me, summer doesn't seem quite right unless your lounging around, preferably in the sun, but hey I live in England and I'll take what I can get, with good (i've read some AWFUL ones) book. Now I get it most people's reactions to this are: "I look forward to summer to get away from school and books" but the minority out there that enjoy reading, I'm firmly on this side of the group, well, this post is for you.
Firstly though, reading is a great way of spending your time in the sun, (also a good use of time on airplanes when you can't use your phone), but it's also a great way of exercising your brain, especially before you go back to school, otherwise your brain freaks out like this: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH WORDS" (my internal freak out in september).
Again if your anything like me book shopping has now become increasingly difficult, to the point I can't get family or friends to go into shops with me buuuut I've managed to pick 5 that I hope you love just as much as I do...

My top 5 books for Summer 2015


(I swapped out A Midsummer's Nightmare out for Second Chance Summer but if you want to find that book it's written by Kody Keplinger)

1. The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF is one of my absolute favourite books EVER. A main reason for this is the writer (Keplinger) wrote it when she was 17, not too far off the age I'm at now, which makes it so relatable to the average high school girl. I have to admit I didn't pick up this book with the best intentions, in fact I think i refused it the first time someone suggested it to me, but  heard a movie was coming out (I'm one of those read the book first kinda girls) and the reviews of the books were so positive I had to check it out. BEST DECISION. Whilst the mask of the book is romance and high school life, there is also a crucial element of self positivity. I'll let you make up your own decisions but...the book is 10x better than the movie although Robbie Amell is quite nice to look at.

2. P.S I still love you by Jenny Han

This is the follow up to " To All The Boys I've Loved Before", in a nutshell the protagonist Lara Jean's younger sister mails out all these letters to the boys she had fallen in love with throughout her younger and teen years and Lara Jean has to deal with the repercussions of that action, in which she meets Peter. Now book two is more about Lara and Peter's difficulties, especially once an old flame from one of the letters appears back in town. I personally love Jenny Han's books and if your don't particularly like his series, another of my favourite sets from her's, which were my favourite last summer are "The Summer I Turned Pretty" books, which follows Belly's summer through the summer house she grew up in and the two boys she loves.

3. Vendetta by Catherine Doyle.

Now usually I avoid murder books with dangerous plot lines and scary mafia type characters but for some reason this book really intrigued me, so much so I read it in about 2 hours! I'm very particular about story lines like this one, I see it very difficult to weave danger and love in a way that this book does so brilliantly. There as many "ahhhh" moments as "awwww moments". My personal favourite to this book is how kick ass Sophie the protagonist is. In a world that is so unlike her own and scary she conquers everything and makes me question if she has any type of fear, a normal girl would run after half the things Nic throws at her but she's so hardcore it's hard not to love their dynamic relationship.

4. Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

I picked up this book at the beginning of June and to be perfectly honest it was nothing how I expected it. It accurately conveys a real family's struggle in the most touching way. I'm not a crying person but this book had me in tears, it touches the heart. Although if you don't want something quite so to the heart you could try Matson's more upbeat summer reads like "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" or "Since You've Been Gone".

5. Blue by Lisa Glass

If I could bottle up summer vibes and put them into a book that book would be Blue. What could possibly better for a beach read then a beach love story and get this: it's set in england! Fistral beach in Cornwall to be exact, one of the prettiest parts of the UK! Now I may be biased but I love the image of a surfer boy, so what's better than for summer than the beach, the sun, surfing, a cute boy...well nothing in my opinion. But what do I know? I stay around, read books and plan out blog posts (psst. which are coming very soon!)

Now if you've already read these, or don't really fancy them (or don't fancy a romance, sorry guys i'm a sucker for a good love story) try:
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - definitely not a romance, with a shocker ending.
Stolen by Lucy Christopher - one mans obsession taken too far
The hunger games series by Suzanne Collins - don't question or fight it just read.

Well thats it guys, write me a comment on your opinion once you've read them or if you already have tell me what you thought about them! 
Also I'm always looking for new things to read - of any genre - so write down in the comments below your favourite book(s)!
Thanks lovelies,
MW


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, same me.

Attempting to avoid the Freshers Flu